Evolution and inspiration

Thursday night, the Chilmark Writing Workshop... On Stage. I didn't expect a thing of them, except to read some poems and clap for each other. But the stories they read were incredible and extraordinarily well-written on all types of subjects, but all with the main theme of invitation. One was about a prom, another was about a dying mother, one was about their mother not being there, one was about a restaurant scene, and one was about revenge. They made me remember why I wrote, and how much I enjoyed writing.
Today I had a fit, since I'd lost my pad of plain white paper, and I needed to find it. It's been lost for a few days now, but today I really really wanted it. So I searched high and low, looking everywhere, asking everyone, snooping around the other houses, moving other people's things to find it. There were sheets of its paper in various places, like clues on a children's detective show. Some were in one person's handwriting, and others were posted on the bulletin board. I tried to find the last sheets I'd written, so I'd know when I lat had it, and so I could date the unknown pages from someone else's writing. They were a cold trail, since I didn't know whose they were or when they had been written on. It drove me crazy. I'd find a new page and feel closer, but just that much farther away from finding the pad. I didn't get the damn thing back until Nicole brought it to me, after having made a grocery list on it the other day... And the ultimate irony was, that I wanted to write this whole affair down as a comedy sketch, but the only thing I would write it on was that very same pad of paper that I couldn't for the life of me find.
And with that pad is my favorite pen, that I cringe at when other people use. I had to buy two more, just so they'd be around and I'd always have one. They are now essential to my survival as a creative being.

Tonight, a dog was around the theater, that belongs to one of the writers in the Chilmark Workshop. It's 15 years old, and only has three legs. The fourth had been amputated years and years earlier, but apparently she used to lick it for comfort, to soothe herself. But now that the leg is gone, she licks and naws at her hind leg, limping more and more. She's now turning into a 2 1/2 legged dog. When I said that out loud, the first thing that came to my head was that she was willfully evolving. She is progressing to two legs, a two legged dog. She's becoming human.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Dulcinea's Eyes

Roy Tanck's Flickr Widget requires Flash Player 9 or better.

Get this widget at roytanck.com