Klepto

"Kleptomania (also spelled cleptomania) (Greek: κλέπτειν, kleptein, "to steal", μανία, "mania") is the condition of not being able to resist the urge to collect or hoard things."

My roommate is not a klepto. She's a thief. Before, I believed her little antics to be humorous - a mere "Fuck you!" to The Man. I understand stealing odds and ends from Walmart or Kmart or other monopolies. I myself have shoplifted a couple of items; all you have to do is take off the barcode. But when I take her to my favorite cafe/shop of all time, tell her it's my favorite place to come and chill and I'll always be found there when I visit Lexington, she still goes and steals a necklace from the front.

It deeply wounds my soul to be so deceived. I assumed she had some morals, some values when it came to her relieving a store of a few bits and bobs. I thought that perhaps she only stole from those who didn't need the money, those who wouldn't miss a little something here or there, those who were not useful to society or honorable in business. But no. She stole from the most loving, community-oriented, down-to-earth, trusting coffee shop in existence.

She is not a kleptomaniac. It's premeditated.

I find it despicable.




How do I tell her?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Dulcinea's Eyes

Roy Tanck's Flickr Widget requires Flash Player 9 or better.

Get this widget at roytanck.com